Monday, December 27, 2010

I'm Waiting for Bullwinkle to Show Up....

We’ve had a new visitor lately, a Flying Squirrel that of course I’ve named Rocky. (You’re old enough to remember why, right?) He (or she) appears just about every night between 9:45 and 10:00 and only stays long enough to fill his cheek pouches with sunflower seeds just once and then disappears until the following night.

I haven’t seen one of these things in years and it’s quite a novelty to me. It has the complete opposite attitude to the daytime red squirrels that used to drive me crazy before they learned to stay away or else. Those characters would just keep hauling seed until it was all gone and were always nervous for some reason… heh, heh, heh. This little fellow will watch us, looking in through the windows while we watch him looking out through the windows. If I open the door to the deck he takes off fast enough but as long as we study him quietly he appears to be doing the same to us.

I hope he hangs around a while as he fits in quite nicely with the neighborhood. He's quiet, not greedy, minds his own business and is just a good friend so far. I hope it stays that way.

No comments: