Saturday, October 07, 2006

Polar Bear Watch...

So the guy from the Nunavut Department of the Environment came to see me today. It seems there's been a polar bear around my house and the store at least twice in the last week and he just wanted to leave me his telephone number to call him day or night if I spot it. They want to invite my nocturnal visitor to politely move on “or else.”

We had a freight plane to unload at 11:00 p.m. the other night and I must admit that I was more than a little wary walking home from the store to the house in the dark. It’s not far but with just about zero visibility on a cloudy night you might step on each other before either of you sees the other. Anyway, the word is to always “be aware” of your surroundings, don’t go rushing around buildings and to take the corners wide. We also look out the window before opening the door to go out and yes, there is a rifle standing ready (with the clip out) between the bedroom and the door, just in case.

I haven’t seen the wee beastie yet though and believe it or not in the 33+ years I’ve spent in the north I still haven’t seen a polar bear in the wild. I was kind of disappointed not to spot one while in Churchill for a month last summer so I hope this is my chance. Will keep you posted…

No comments: