Sunday, October 29, 2006

Things That Go Bump In The Night

So I’m heading home from the store about 1:00 a.m. the other morning after yet another of those many days when the freight plane arrived late. About half way to the house I look up and there’s this white shape on the hill behind the house, about 50 feet from my door. Not remembering having seen it there before I immediately thought, “There’s my bear!” Sure enough, it started to move slowly along the hill and I’m wondering if I should continue on to the house or head back to the store to wait it out. While I’m debating this in my mind I heard a car approaching and the funny thing was, the closer the car got the more the shape moved and brightened. It was only the headlights shining in a peculiar way on a rock and a combination of the special angle of the road, the shape of the rock, the rain, my tiredness and imagination was making me see something else.

Laugh if you want, I did, but at this time of the year here a bear can be around at any time of the day or night and boy are they hungry until the ice forms and they can go seal hunting again. I was reminded by someone the other day that the polar bear is mainly a scavenger and not to play dead if you surprise one. Of course you can’t outrun the things either so what the heck are you supposed to do?

No comments: