Monday, November 06, 2006

I Have Seen the Gates of Hell...

... or at least a reproduction of them!

Whenever I pass through Winnipeg I always check out what’s on at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. This time it just happened to be an exhibition of the works of Rodin. Normally I’m not a big fan of sculpture but there was no way I was going to pass up what was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the work of one of the world’s greats.



Most everybody is familiar with his “The Thinker” which has been reproduced in many sizes but did you know the original was only 21cm high? Neither did I and neither was I familiar with some his other pieces such as “The Age of Bronze” and especially “The Gates of Hell.” All I can say is WOW, I’m glad I went and if you ever have the opportunity to view any of his works please go, I promise you won’t be disappointed!





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing, isn't it? I studied a bit of Art History in university, ad was surprised to learn that fact. Many works of art seem so "big" in my head, and when I find out they're actually way smaller in real life, it shocks me. Take for example, the Mona Lisa. She's not THAT big in real life!

Anyway, it is surprising that Rodin's sculptures are really smaller than we think they are!

Murray said...

Some such as the "Monumental Heads" were over 2 feet high and many of them like Balzac (my favourite), John the Baptist and the Burgers of Calais were life size. No matter what size the original is they have an apparatus that will enlarge or reduce it. They didn't actually have the "Gates of Hell" on display this time as the last casting was 20 feet high and I doubt if the floor of the WAG would have supported it!

Unknown said...

Wow! That is incredible! One of my faves is the "Gates of Hell", though of course I've only seen it in slides or from art history textbooks. BTW, if you're ever in Toronto, the AGO is a very interesting place to visit. Did I ever tell you that I drove all the way to Ottawa just to see the Gustav Klimt exhibit (and then drove back home)?