Monday, May 28, 2007

Day One...

May 24th... Wikwemikong to Montreal.


Well we're on the road again. It would have been nice to get a few more days off between trips this time but it just wasn’t to be.

My last trip ran long because two key people in the store decided that during their vacation (that the company pays their way south for) would be a great time to resign. If they had done so before leaving on holidays they would have had to pay their own plane tickets out which would have come to something like $1,500.00 each. Pretty good planning on their part, eh? Then to top that off when they finally did send someone in that could give the store a hand and possibly allow to me to leave a little earlier we had one of our store managers pass away from heart failure caused by diabetes. So, they had to take this new guy and send him to the store where that loss occurred. Just a part of life up here and it makes it hard to set too many firm plans.

Anyway, May 24th took me to Montreal for another night at the Quality Inn. (Do you suppose it's a sign that I'm travelling too much when when they greet me by name before I even get to the front desk?) The Sudbury to Toronto flight was good but again Air Canada strikes out on the Toronto to Montreal run. It must be several years since I had an easy connection through Pearson Airport. I’d say that out of my last 10 passages through Toronto I’ve missed my connections 5 times, had to run to make it 3 times, lost luggage twice and only had one easy and on time transition through the airport. Just one more event to make me take the train or even the bus instead of flying, unless it’s on Bearskin Airlines which has always given me an on-time, smooth, fast and friendly flight. They are a little bit more expensive than Air Canada but if you have to fly they are the way to go for sure. Too bad they don’t go to Montreal yet but I’m sure that will come some day.

When we finally did get out of Toronto (2 hours late) we had a Boeing 767 to travel on. Personally I’ve never liked this particular aircraft as their seatbelt are shorter (I'm not a small guy!) and they squash you in tighter than Westjet, which is not good. Westjet is always my LAST choice for flying. I know that many people swear by them but (in my experience) they use 737’s with extra seats put in so your knees are up against the seat in front of you, they are seldom on time and I think their attitude is unprofessional. I don’t want a stand up comic bringing me my coffee, I want someone to act like their priority is the passenger, not which page in the joke book to turn to next. I’ve always gotten the feeling that if we ever had to evacuate from Westjet one of them would be standing at the emergency exit trying to explain the punch line before we would be allowed to go down the slide.

There I go off my topic again. I was talking about the 767 and here are a couple photos of the interior for you. Those first class seats must be nice but I can’t see paying the extra for a one-hour flight to Montreal. I used to occasionally upgrade to business class when heading between Toronto and Winnipeg, and Gloria and I once flew first class from Vancouver to Montreal but unless you’re on one of those longer runs its not worth paying hundreds or thousands of dollars more just for a couple hours worth of extra leg room. That’s it for now, next entry will deal with Day 2 to Kangiqsujuaq.

No comments: