Saturday, August 18, 2007

Vanishing Point...

I recently received a comment on this photo which is displayed on my Flickr site. The comment was "nice vanishing point." It hadn't occurred to me to think of it as a vanishing point at all but instead I always seem to think of photos like this as pathways to move forward on. To me this is an invitation to travel ahead and see and live whatever is out there. It's nice to have experienced what's behind me, but I find what lies ahead holds more fascination and challenge.

What do I see out there in the distance? I hope it will somehow be something that can help make up for years of travel and missed memories. I want it to be a time to reflect and perhaps start to understand what I've lost by not being home to watch my kids grow up.

I want to sit on my deck, to watch the sun rise and set, to watch the stars and wildlife go by, to see the seasons change in progression and not with the abruptness caused by my having flown 2,000 miles north and through 3 time zones that day.

What do I want most to be down that road? Time. I want my lost time back. Simply time to spend wisely with my wife as we grow old together sitting out on that deck, reliving and building memories.

There is no vanishing point in my future... I see only opportunities.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, what a beautiful post! I love it.

By the way, I just sent you a shout out here: http://lifeonmanitoulin.blogspot.com/2007/08/oh-how-we-love-thee.html

PJ said...

It's a very interesting post. :)

I do recall a scene in one of my son's favorite animated movies, "Cars!", where Mater, a rusty, old tow truck, says while driving backwards: "I don't need to see where I'm going, I just need to know where I've been."

Cheers!