Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ice Cubes...

OK, so yes there is global warming and that is a documented fact but I can't get too excited about the latest chunk of ice breaking off in the Antarctic. I just saw where a slab the size of the city of Montreal detached yesterday and even though it may be a symptom of the changing climate is it not also likely that this is just a natural part of ice pack evolution?

I will be the first to admit that I've been hesitant in embracing the panic of rising temperatures but I'm sure you'll understand that it's because I spend a good part of the year in the arctic. For example where I am now the temperature has ranged from -15 to -45 over the past month, so it's a little difficult to believe it's getting warmer when you're walking into a blizzard with a -50 wind chill factor.

OK, so my point (and please correct me) is that any object that is supported by water or air or anything at all, and gets bigger and bigger over the years from more material being added to it will change and get heavier over time. So when things get heavier and heavier, even over thousands of years, does it not eventually have to reach a breaking point? Now I believe that the Antarctic does not have any land under it but what about the top of the world... is it not land based with tons of snow being dumped on it each year? Is this snow not compressing and moving outward to the edges? Is this edge not expected to break off once in a while?

Try extending a tape measure straight out and it will only go so far before it kinks and flops downward. Is the ice not acting the same? Hmmm...

No comments: