Friday, October 24, 2008

Slowing down...

So is it just me slowing down in my old age or are people driving faster?

Sure, in my young and foolish days nothing ever stayed in front of me and nothing passed me either. Nothing... ever. Not a transport and not even a Greyhound bus. I remember being overjoyed once because I'd kept a fancied up Camero behind me on the autoroute all the way from the Champlain Bridge to the Sherbrooke cut-off. What giddy and foolish days those were... and I’ve smartened up a lot since then. Now I stick very close to the speed limits and if some fool wants to pass me then more power to you, buddy.

My complaint for today however is that even with all we are hearing about slowing down giving us better gas mileage and the high cost of gas no one seems to be listening. Sure, I hear lots of people complaining about the prices they are paying at the pumps but I still get passed every day by cars and trucks, big and small. The worst ones seem to be these big "Look at me I'm macho!" pickup trucks that try to push everyone else off the road. To them I say "I'm getting between 45mpg and 47mpg on my vehicle, how are YOU doing?"

Now, one last comment to whoever pulled their school bus out in front of me in Sheguiandah yesterday... IDIOT! Granted that I saw you, but did you see me? The car IS bright red and I suppose could have been mistaken for an autumn maple tree moving down the road. If we forget about that part how about the posted speed limit? It is a 70 zone and yes I was closer to 80 but what was your speed as you zipped away from me, still in the middle of town? By the time I reached the legal 80 zone headed south you were already past the Batman cut-off headed up towards the big hill.

Hope you read this Mr. Driver and be advised that next time I will catch up to your bus, and I WILL be checking the license plate number. Am I the best driver on our roads? No, but I also don't have a load of kids that I'm responsible for sitting behind me either. Am I wrong?

November 1, 2008 Update: I just got over 49mpg on my last tank of gas!

No comments: