Monday, October 27, 2008

Smoke and Fire?

I just took a 'Burnout Test' located at one of my newly found favorite web sites called Mind Tools. Their introduction and explanation of burnout is...

"Burnout occurs when passionate, committed people become deeply disillusioned with a job or career from which they have previously derived much of their identity and meaning. It comes as the things that inspire passion and enthusiasm are stripped away, and tedious or unpleasant things crowd in."

I actually took the test twice, with the first time looking back to the way I felt before retiring on August 31st. My score based on the old days was 63, which puts me in their "You are at very severe risk of burnout - do something about this urgently" area. Hmmm...

I then took it again based on how I feel today and got a score of 30 putting me in the "Little sign of burnout here" section. I always though that 'burnout' was a myth and just something people used as an excuse to not produce fully, but now I'm not so sure. While I refuse to use this to explain and apologize to friends and family about some of my past actions and attitudes, it still makes me wonder how much the old job situation was getting me down.

What about you out there? Do you have an opinion? I share mine far too often but I'd be really interested in hearing your views on burnout, job stress or other work-related topics.

No comments: