Tuesday, July 07, 2009

It isn’t about selling…

… well, maybe for me as an anti-social character it is. I’ve been set up at the Manitoulin Flee Market for several weeks now and have made a few observations. These seem to indicate that a very large number of visitors are not there to buy, but just to visit and get caught up on events. Apparently the weekly market rounds make up a very important part of their social life and it almost makes sense to me.

If I’m not at the market I’m sitting in front of my computer (probably on Facebook) and pretending to myself that I am doing something worthwhile. After all, Farm Town teaches me valuable lessons about crop rotation and animal husbandry. Fish Wrangler allows me to interact with my other crew members and seek out new and different undersea creatures. Nations teaches me the hows and whys of making proper political decisions. Poker teaches me logic and when to fold and run. Bingo teaches me patience and Twitter keeps me in touch with current events. Who am I kidding… I’m just playing around!

On the other hand the market has taught me communications skills, polished my sales pitch and taught me to listen to people (customers) and help them choose the right product for themselves. Selling isn’t about making a buck, it’s about helping people by allowing them to obtain products that are actually of use to them. If I sell them crap they won’t come back, right? By selling them a quality product that they actually need and at a fair price I have created a loyal customer who thinks of me and keeps coming back when they need something.

Hmmm… sounds corny but I’ve been selling one product or another for over 40 years… and it’s still fun!

No comments: