Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Voices From the Past...

This year seems to have a definite theme to it. In the past 12 months I've become reacquainted with a dozen or so people from my past. Old friends, school chums and even a cousin I haven't seen probably since the late 60's. A few days ago another one surfaced because of a blog entry I made many months ago.

Roddy was a young fellow from Oban, Scotland who had been brought over by the Hudson’s Bay Company as an apprentice contract clerk. When I was sent to my first posting with HBC it was to Mistassini and to fill the position left vacant by him when he went on to other things. (Roddy is the fellow in the back on the right in this photo but I have no idea who the long-haired gentleman wearing the tie in front of him is. Wish I could remember that party, looks like it must have been a good one).

(I just have to pause here for a moment to mention that Oban where Roddy was from produces one of the finest scotches in the world. Please try it if you ever get the chance.)

He must have been searching through the internet for some of his old locations and ran across my entry about Mistassini and my first Store Manager, Glen Speers.

Anyway, I've replied to his comments on my entry and I hope he gets back to me. For some reason the people I knew years ago are getting more and more important to me. A sign of old age, you think?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glen Speers was my wife's uncle. We visited him in Mistassini in June 1971. Met a couple of apprentices then, one of whom was from Scotland, but I don't recall his name.

Murray said...

Hello Dennis! This is Murray, the guy Doug was talking about as "Mr. Mcbain" in the other blog post. I got to Mistassini in the summer of 1973. I'm not sure when Roddy arrived there but I replaced him when he moved on to other things that year. I wish I could help you out with those who clerked for him before I but just dont' have that information right now. We all respected "Mr. Speers" very much as did the entire community and he was a great mentor to many of us. Keep in touch!