Friday, February 13, 2009

Six Drink Challenge...

Recently my buddies over at Just Below 63 have passed on a challenge that they received and are asking us to summarize our lives in 6 drinks. I’ve had to think long and hard on this one as living in what most of you would call the north for 35 years had its toll in the drink department. It seems that most of the country considers everything 30 minutes up from Toronto as “north” whereas I don’t think the north starts until you get above the tree line, or at least above any connection to the Canadian road system. So…

#1) Has to be Captain Morgan Black. The standing story was that whenever a new clerk transferred to a new post tradition called for them to sit down with the store manager and together drink a 40oz bottle of something containing alcohol just to get the feel of one another. While there is some truth to the manager offering clerk a drink to “get acquainted” the volume in the stories is much exaggerated, most of the time.

At one time there was only one Hudson’s Bay Company dwelling in any community and the clerks lived with the manager and their family if they had one. A drink or two broke the ice and got everyone talking a little bit so you got to know your new housemates (and their quirks) fairly quickly. Why did I choose Captain Morgan Black first? Well my first manager was Glen Speers at Mistassini Post (60 miles north of Chibougamau) back in the early 70’s. This was his main drink, alternated with Burnett’s gin, both mixed with boiling hot water. It sure warmed you up on a cold night, especially when the wood stove was giving us trouble (no furnaces in those days!) He also alternated between Du Maurier and Cameo cigarettes all day and all night. We could often hear him boiling the kettle in the middle of the night to heat up his mix for one or the other drink, along with a cigarette of course.

He’s gone now but I miss those days, and him. I spent two years there and even though we sometimes thought he was cantankerous and hard to deal with he was one hell of a good store manager and it didn’t take long for anyone with a brain to realize that this man had a wealth of knowledge and experience that he was willing to teach and share with us if we were smart enough to listen to him and not our own opinions and egos.

The Manager or “Whitcheemaw” (boss) as he was called in that part of the country was respected by all the community and used to be asked advice on everything from marriage to “Should we sign the James Bay Agreement.” (We apprentice clerks were known as a “Whitcheemush” which meant little boss.) Not a feast or special event in the community could take place without the Whitcheemaw being invited and given a place of honor at the festivities. When couples got married and the manager was unable to attend for some reason the happy couple always came to the store to shake hands with him for luck and good fortune.

At Christmas the entire community would drop by the house to shake hands with all of us and have a cup of tea. We clerks were kept busy boiling water for the tea, emptying ashtrays and putting out cookies for the visitors. We (and they) were all dressed in our finest for the day and it was a great time for neophytes like myself to attempt the few words of Cree we had learned and laugh along with everyone else at our strange pronunciations and accents. As the saying goes… a good time was had by all.

Mr. Speers (as he was called by everyone including us clerks, even after hours) was an old bachelor, and one of the last of the old timers who had delivered babies, pulled teeth and cut off frozen toes when called upon to do so. This was in the days before nursing stations and doctors when the only person the community could turn to in an emergency was the Hudson’s Bay Manager. I didn’t miss those years by much but I’m kind of glad that I was never personally called upon to remove an appendix while following instructions coming in over a crackling bush radio from some doctor hundreds of miles away. Yup, these things actually used to happen and not that long ago either.

Hmmm…. looks like the “6 drink” challenge will have to be spread out. That is #1 gone and I’ll work on chapter and drink #2 over the next few days. Cheers!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny how this challenge makes you think. This is awesome. Can't wait to hear drink #2!

Roddy MacInnes said...

I just wanted to say hello, and mention that I was a clerk with Glen Speers at Mistassini Post from September, 1972 until June, 1973. Did you by any chance know Larry Bursey, and do you have contact info' for him? Thanks, Roddy MacInnes

Murray said...

Roddy!!! How have you been?!?! The last time I say you was when you were tramping the claim lines out of Chibougamau in the dead of winter taking readings every so often.

I'm the guy who went into Mistassini after you left HBC and Larry Bursey had the difficult task of turning me into a Bay boy. When he left Mistassini I believe he took over the store in St. Augustine but left shortly after that. I've never heard from him since.

Walter Whiting got me through my first winter there and kept me at least partially sane. If you have any information on him I would appreciate it.

Hey... remember the time Ken Foley and I jumped on his little Elan and headed up the highway to Albanel. You were with Fecteau there at the time but weren't home so we ate a couple cans of your Klik, filled the ski-doo (av-gas and double oil) and headed back south. You and Walter met us part way back in his little car because we'd taken so long you guys thought we must have broken down.

The good old days eh? Keep in touch!

Doug Speers said...

Hello Roddy. Glen Speers was my uncle. I visited him in Mistassini in 73 for a couple of weeks. I wonder if you were the guy that Glen introduced to me as Mr McBain - a top boss with HBC. He kept the ruse going for about an hour or so - he did like his practical jokes.
I'll have to forward your blog to other family members -- Thank you.
Doug Speers

Murray said...

Yes Doug, that was me and just so you know... the ruse wasn't my idea but I played along wondering how far "Mr. Speers" was going to take it while trying to keep up with his cues. He and I were in touch by letter for several years and I still think of him quite often as he played an important part in my life. I was a green kid right out of school when I went to Mistassini and when it was time to move on to another posting it was with a much better understanding of the world and the reality of what it takes to get the job done, whatever it may be at the time. Keep in touch!

Doug Speers said...

Hi again Roddy. I guess it's been a couple of years since I've visited this site. I hope you are still checking it ocassionally.
Remember that crazy canoe trip we took in the waves to that island? Probably wasn't a very safe idea, but it was fun (since we didn't die).
Glen was a pretty strange guy - full of stories that I was never sure about when I was younger. I came to realize, later in life that his stories were usually quite true. He did have amazing experiences, as did the people who he spoke about. I now have much of his stuff, including lots of pictures of Mistassini and other areas he worked in. About 10 years ago, I was lucky enough to meet with a woman who was from the Mistassini band and I gave her a lot of pictures which she took back to Mistassini. I'm thinking now of posting many of his other pictures from other communities - buildings that no longer exist, and people from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Seems a shame to just have them sitting in a shoe box at home. I heard from a historian that some of the pics may be the only ones known of some of the Hudson Bay buildings. Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you are the one I remember from Glen's place. He was my favorite uncle and a great guy.
Doug