Monday, January 15, 2007

3 years 166 days and counting…

That’s what the countdown to retirement clock on my web site reads.

Just got the call the other day to start my years travel for Northern again and I’ve got to admit to mixed feelings. I received the e-mail in the morning asking if I would be available for a management relief in Northern Quebec and you know… it took me most of the rest of the day before I finally said yes. I’d known all along that I would, but there is a complete lack of excitement about starting another year of troubleshooting, training and take-overs. Maybe it’s because I’ve had better than two months off but it seems harder than usual to get started again.

A very good friend of mine wrote to me in an email today that he’s just scared of the term “early retirement.” Well, I would be too if that meant doing nothing but I’ve got too much to do, too many plans made, too many books to read, too many memories to document and I have no intention of just sitting on the deck and waiting for the rest of my life. There are things to build, a half dozen little money making little projects I’ve always said I’d start some day and a dozen more still just tickling the back of my mind, some of which will hopefully help pay the groceries. If they don’t… so be it. It’s all going to be fun anyway.

Here’s to the future… what’s in yours?

No comments: