Monday, January 01, 2007

Up, Up and Away!

So now you know what I’ve been doing the past several days.

We’ve been flying Flight Simulator for 15 or 20 years now and just may have more hours logged than a lot of real pilots. I’m still trying to master the different helicopters that come with this version but the J3 Cub is a pleasure to fly, as is the Beech Baron. It also has a very realistic Beaver on floats but my favourite so far is a great handling little Ultra-Lite. This week I’ve explored most of Manitoulin with it and although it lands great on the beach in front of the house it’s a little too slow for the longer cross country flights. I’ve parked it at CYEM (Manitoulin East Airport) and switched over to a DC-3 for a flight up to Timmins and points north. Right now we’re just passing over the Sudbury radio beacon and will probably go on to park it in Moosonee for the night. Sometime in the next few days we’ll try out the jets and hopefully be flying 747’s by the weekend.

My older FS versions weren’t equipped with a GPS so there’s been a learning curve with this new feature for me. I’m having trouble entering waypoints directly into the GPS and leaning what all it’s switches are but filing flight plans and staying in touch with various control towers around the world is fairly simple. A real nifty feature of FS-X is that it will stay online full time with the weather service so whatever it’s doing in real life is what you have to deal with in the simulator. Needless to say I haven’t had to handle too much in the way of snow or icing conditions so far!

We left Alert up in Nunavut a couple days ago and discovered that a Mooney just doesn’t have enough fuel to get from there to Pond Inlet on the tip of Baffin Island. That particular aircraft is now parked at the Thule Air Base and I’ll have to go retrieve it some day and bring it home to Manitoulin. How about it, anyone else out there hooked on this particular game educational tool?

No comments: