Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I'll Take Three...

Been playing some on-line poker lately. Not for money, just at some of those fun sites like PartyPoker where you can play all day and work on sharpening your skills for free. I used to play a lot of money poker years ago but gave it up as someone always seems to get mad when it’s for real cashable bucks.

My first posting with the Hudson’s Bay Company back in the early 70’s was to Mistissini, about 60 miles north of Chibougamau, Quebec. This was a huge location for trapping and I’ll write a little bit about the community in another entry some day. Most of the people spent the entire winter season in the bush and twice each winter our store manager would charter a plane and visit each of the bush camps taking in supplies and buying fur. Anyway, to get to the point of the story for a couple months each winter we had pilots staying with us at the house and poker was the evening ritual. These were the fun times where no one ever lost more than $10 in the nickel and dime games. Later on after I went to a few other communities the hands got into the big money and just weren’t as much fun any more because none of us could afford to lose, so I quit the game for a lot of years.

I’m enjoying the on-line challenge although I think the game is easier to play when you have a physical opponent sitting across from you. It’s a little difficult to get a read as to whether or not they’re bluffing when you just have an avatar staring at you! So anyway, if you’re playing virtual poker some day and find yourself sitting at the same table with the WikyLion… take it easy on an old guy, will you?

PS: I think I lost to this bulldog the other day. He's one smooth pooch!

No comments: