Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Enroute, May 18/08

I always get a kick out of the airline announcement about using the life jackets that are located under your seat cushion. Does anyone actually believe that “in the unlikely event of a landing in the water” that it will make the least bit of difference if I have my life jacket on or not? Come on… tell the truth now. The only reason for us to be wearing those bright yellow vests is to make it easier to fish out the pieces later. I say pieces because if this Airbus 321 touches the water even at something approaching a normal landing speed (let alone the more likely 400+kph) that’s all that will be left of most.

Now, what’s the main reason for fishing us out? Why, so the sharks won’t choke on us and die of course. So therefore by my powers of deductive reasoning it has become obvious to me that the manufacturer of all those tens of thousands of little yellow pieces of plastic is owned or controlled by Greenpeace. Yup, not only are they saving the predators of the deep they are making a tidy profit off it at the same time.

Wow, my reasoning amazes even myself sometimes. Must be the thin air at this altitude as at the moment I’m scribbling these notes I am near the end of my third flight of the day, almost 9 hours in the air so far. I was up at 5:00am to get to Sudbury for the first leg of the journey to Toronto on Air Canada Jazz (about 1¼ hours) then another flight of just over 5 hours to Vancouver and then onto this flight of another 2½ hours up to Whitehorse where I will spend the night. Tomorrow will be another 4½ hours from Whitehorse to Dawson to Inuvik and finally landing in Old Crow in the early afternoon.

I wonder what conspiracies I’ll think up during that flight! Maybe I’ll work out a plot for the next X-Files movie… wait, who’s that guy coming over holding the funny white jacket? Stay back or I’ll hit you with my yellow plastic vest! No, wait, get away….. aarrgggghhhh!

See you tomorrow! (If they let me out)

No comments: