Sunday, November 23, 2008

At what point...

Where in our lives does fear start to set in?

I'm sitting on the deck today, puffing a pipe and having a glass of a great BC Shiraz and watching grandson Nicholas romping around the yard. Fearlessly he is jumping off the lower deck, frontward and backwards, galloping across the yard and launching himself as far out into the air as he can off the edge of the hill towards the driveway. To myself I say... that would really hurt.

I wonder at what point I stopped taking chances, going for broke, taking that leap and be darned with the dangers. If I tried any of the things he's doing right now I will most likely hurt for hours or even break something. In my mind I can already feel the shooting pains in my back and the agony that at least one knee would feel.

So, are the pains real or imaginary? When did I stop "going for it" and start playing it safe? When did I become comfortable and decide to sit back and wait for life to pass by? How do I learn to live again and fight the good fight?

I guess it's just do or die, so what to take on first?

No comments: