Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's Just a Trick!

So I’m starting to think that this retirement thing is over-rated and a conspiracy. There just seems to be no end of things to do or places to be and people to talk to… and you all know how much I enjoy socializing!

What I’m feeling is that when I was working full time there was always a cut-off point for the day when I could theoretically walk away from the job and declare the few remaining hours my own. It was time to get out of the store and head over to the house to grab a bite to eat, watch TV, read a book or whatever else pleased a person. Now it’s “after hours” all the time and without some kind of clear division in the day I’m slowly getting lost.

I have loads of things to do from updating web sites, answering emails, calling Watkins clients and prospective associates, mailing out catalogues, keeping track of my eBay auctions and yes… housecleaning. Since I’m home full time and Gloria has decided to work a few more years I have started doing the dishes, cooking and baking, tidying the house, washing the occasional window and even cleaning the bathroom! All this is much to her dismay sometimes and I’m sure my work isn’t always up to her standards but it seems to me that after her taking care of me for the past 30+ years it’s time I give something back if I can. (Can't depend on those beer-goggles to last forever can we fellas!)

Anyway, back to topic. I think I’m going to have to treat my day’s activities as more of a job than I have been the past few months. Those 35 years of daily routine bred something into me that just won’t go away and without something that I can treat as “work” there is no break-out to “down time” or time for myself when I can feel relaxed and content with a day well done. Each day just seems to go by the same from dawn to dusk and it's getting monotonous. Does that seem confusing? It does to me… but this is Day 137 of retirement and it’s starting to get to me!

4 comments:

Manitoulin Threads said...

Being at home this year with my kids, I sort of see your point. However, it still feels better than working to me! If you are finding yourself with spare time, I could always use a cook/housekeeper! hahaha.

Love your posts!

Murray said...

Yup, beats working for someone else for sure. I just have to get a little discipline into my routine and I'll be fine.

Thanks for the cook/housekeeper job offer but I'll pass just now. :-)

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

I stole your turtles. *evil laugh*

Anonymous said...

I could call you daily at 8 am and again at 9:30 or so PM, maybe at 2 or 3 AM a few times a year... That would keep the "Is the alarm going off, or is it a wrong #?" fresh in your mind.

Be just like going back to work.

Speaking of that...

Jason