Friday, December 29, 2006

Almost There...


Well we’ve just about survived another one.

I’m usually a pain at this time of the year but I’ve been in a department store setting for going on 34 years now and unless you’ve been in that position you have no idea what it’s like. I won’t go into details (unless you insist) but suffice to say that there can be many 18 hour workdays in the days leading up to December 25th.

The last 3 years have been great though as I haven’t been assigned to any one store but travelling and doing training or just helping out whenever and wherever needed instead. I call myself the ‘Designated Hitter’ for The North West Company as when they need something done I head in and can usually get the job done for them. Not being posted full time at one spot means that I’ve been able to duck most of the late night closings and early morning openings. I feel a little guilty about this but hey… I’ve done my time and put in the long hours when it’s been called for and yes… I’m starting to feel I’m just getting a little bit too old for this sort of thing.

I started my career in 1973 at Mistassini, Quebec. If you’re wondering, that’s about 60 miles north of Chibougamau and one of the very few stores where we have a year round road into town. Many of our stores still have only fly in access although the more southern ones now have winter roads open for a few weeks during which the entire years freight has to be moved into the community. We didn't have telephone there at that time and I still don't have one now in 2006. (As explained in a previous blog entry there are no telephone lines available where we live.) Don't worry, I’m not going to get into my entire work history with you right now but maybe we’ll have a series of write-ups later on about different locations and experiences. Or you may just have to wait for the book I keep telling myself I’m going write some day.

The best thing about all the travel and transfers for work was if I hadn’t…

I wouldn’t have met the fantastic lady that allowed me to become her husband of almost 29 years now… WOW! She was Office Manager in Fort George (now Chisasibi) at the time we met and I was still a green trainee learning the ropes.

We wouldn’t have had a great bunch of kids. Don’t tell them I called them “great” or they’ll think I’m getting soft in my old age!

I wouldn’t have seen the Atlantic, Pacific and Arctic Oceans.

I wouldn’t have visited every Province and Territory. Except for New Brunswick and P.E.I.

I wouldn’t have moved to Manitoulin Island, the best place in the world!

Looking back it’s been fun and there aren’t too many days that I’d want to trade away, except maybe for a couple sealifts and midnight freight planes.

Actually, it’s getting harder to remember any of the bad days at all. Maybe it is time to start working on that book. See you next year, everyone!

No comments: