Sunday, February 18, 2007

Good Weekend

Sunday is usually my one day off a week (if I get one at all) and this is what I would call a rare “Good TV” day. It actually started last night with a choice of a couple movies I enjoy, Castaway and the 5th Element. While neither makes my Top Ten list they are both shows that I can watch without too many nasty comments… except for the idiot “Ruby” in the latter movie setting me off.

Today has continued with the morning draw of the Scotties Tournament of Hearts, followed by the Daytona 500 this afternoon and then we’ll get the evening curling draw tonight. Gloria and I went to 10 Labatt Briers in a row and are still members of the infamous “James Bay Gang” of curling groupies that try to hit as many Briers, Hearts and other events as possible. Over the years we were fortunate enough to have met, talked with and even had a beer or two with some of the curling greats. My personal favourite is still Eddie “The Wrench” Werenich and dozens of others that if I try to list them all I’d mess up and leave someone out. Oh, I’ve got to mention Pat “Elvis” Ryan, Rick Lang. “The Iceman” Al Hackner and of course “Brier Bear” himself. We’ve met millionaires, paupers, farmers, TV personalities, truck drivers, hydro linemen, musicians and hundreds and hundreds of real down home people who are fans, just like us. These people restore my faith in humanity and they make the Brier the best possible place to be for 10 days in March.

Over the years we became known as serious pin traders and have a collection of thousands of lapel pins (mostly Brier) that includes two personal pins that have became collectors items in their own right. I really miss that part of our life and hopefully we’ll be able to get back on the circuit, do some serious pin trading and renew some of the old friendships once again.

Hey… The Brier is just down the road in Hamilton this year. Treat yourself, take in at least the weekend package and bring me back a pin, will ‘ya!

No comments: