Sunday, February 25, 2007

Six Degrees...

There's a neat little write-up on Wikipedia about how we are all closer than we think and I’m always amazed when I’m off in some exotic part of the country and meet either someone I know, or someone who knows someone I know, or who is from our part of the country. Yesterday I was talking to a fellow from Inukjuak who vacations with friends every summer in Kincardine, Ontario. A part of this vacation of his sometimes involves trips on Chi-Cheemaun and across Manitoulin.

When in Sanikiluaq a year or so ago I ran into a family who were living there at the time but were shortly going to move home, to Tobermory. In either Big Trout Lake or Bearskin Lake (I forget which) I met a teacher who is from Kagawong. In Fort Albany I met a teacher who is from Wikwemikong. There are many others as well who are either from or who vacation on Manitoulin.

When Gloria and I used to trade pins at the Brier every year we also met all kinds of similar people. Included in this group of curling fans was a lady who actually worked with my brother in law on the island and another who turned out to be a future mayor of Espanola! I guess it just all goes to show how inter-connected we all are.

No comments: