Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Sad Day

The photo on the right (posted here without permission) appears in this weeks Manitoulin Expositor. There is a story in there this week announcing that Farquar Dairies may soon be transferring their operations off-island to Espanola. I can understand this move for business reasons but to me it is a sad day indeed to see the world famous Farquar ice cream moving away.

I first started coming to Manitoulin in the late ‘70s and one of the highlights was always the island made ice cream. When my father, who is a self proclaimed ice cream addict started his annual visits several years later it was again one of the high points of his trip to have what he called the best ice cream in the world. Yes, I know, the recipe and taste will remain the same (I hope) but some of the romance and history (major ingredients) will not be there any more and in my mind I wonder what the first cone of next year will taste like.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhhh noooooooo!!! Say it ain't so! That is indeed a sad, sad story :(