Saturday, June 23, 2007

Almost a victim…

Well I almost fell prey to the “Northern Truism” that I wrote about before. The people who I was replacing in Kangiqsujuaq were supposed to arrive back in town Wednesday afternoon so I could leave Thursday morning. Wednesday arrived with huge winds whistling through the mountains and for some reason or other the pilots didn’t want to try a landing with gusting 80kph crosswinds. Personally I think it makes for some exciting seconds or minutes as you are looking out the side windows of the plane straight down the runway with the nose of the aircraft pointed 10 degrees or so off to the side. Some of the other passengers seem to think there is a danger to this however and have a nasty habit of screaming and squealing as you bounce up, down, sideways, backwards, inside out… Lots of fun and since we’re all going to kick off some day anyway I’d rather it be on a plane than on Highway 400!

Anyway, they turned back to Kuujjuaq on Wednesday but made the run back up when the winds calmed down on Thursday morning. John and Debbie got off the plane, I handed them the store and truck keys, gave them a few hints as to what I thought of their cat and got on the same plane they had arrived on. Just the way things go sometimes and I still made it to Kuujjuaq in time to make my connection to Montreal. And I get to do it all again next week!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! That's crazy! At least you can't say that your life is boring! ;) There's always some excitement happening where you are!