Friday, June 08, 2007

Salluit next?

So they want me to head up to Salluit next after a 10-day layoff. I’d hoped for a bit more time at home than that as I’d like to get some serious Watkins recruiting done but that's not to be this time. I’ll still try to get a presentation or two completed while I'm back on Manitoulin but not the series that I had hoped for.

Salluit is a great little town and I first went there somewhere around 1979 as the Manager for the Hudson’s Bay Company. The only downside to this trip will be that two sealifts scheduled for the period that I will be there. As long as the current Manager has all his warehouses organized and has someone who knows where everything is to go it shouldn’t be a problem, but if there is no preparation done it will be a nightmare.

The good side about another trip this soon is that is brings me one tour closer to getting my year done. After this one I will only owe the company about another 60 days and then I’m off for three months or so unless there is an emergency somewhere. I know I complain about the hours and the workload sometimes but where else can I get all the great benefits that The North West Company offers including up to four months a year off, with pay, and the pension cheque really isn't that far away!


Above is a photo of the MV Umiuvat. You can get more information on it and other northern freighting activies on the Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping web site.

No comments: