Sunday, June 24, 2007

It's what I am...

Within the next couple months I will reach the 34-year mark in my northern career and I admit to mixed emotions. Yes, it's been mostly fun and I've certainly seen more of the country than most people, but at what cost?

My body is shot, I’m overweight, my back and right hip hurt constantly, I have arthritis in my hands, gout and who know what else. I have no place that I can truly call home as even "Haven" on Manitoulin is a stranger to me because I'm seldom there for more than a few days at a time.

The concept of a family life is completely foreign, and I often have people on the island call me by name that I am certain I have never ever seen before and I have absolutely no idea of who they are. Gloria tells me later that “Oh, that was your nephew” or niece or some other type of relation that I may have seen when they were two feet tall but are now grown up. How am I supposed to know when I only see them once every 2 or 3 years?

On the other hand I have Gloria, my wife, my rock, my inspiration and the reason that everything is worthwhile. If I'd never headed north I never would have met her and that would have been a true tragedy. I’m proud to announce that as of today we're at 29 years, still counting, and I hope for another 29 to come.

So I'll hold out for a while longer and put up with the 7 day, 70-hour work weeks and the 40+ day long trips that keep me out of touch and in limbo most of the time. I will endure until retirement in 3 years and 6 days... unless the “powers that be” farm me out earlier. It's happened to others better than I that it should NOT have happened to and if my turn comes sooner than later then so be it. I've had a good run, and have more than enough plans, schemes and dreams to keep me busy for several lifetimes.

Here's to the future!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Gloria! What a sweet post, Murray! 29 years is quite the milestone! Congrats! :) May you have many more happy years together!