Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Between Seasons…

Spring by the calendar with a hint of summer in the air, sometimes.

No buds on the poplars yet but the signs of the seasons are out there in the form of the frogs peeping, doves and other birds ‘frolicking’, the ducks are checking out nesting sites, our loons and geese are back on the beach and I even saw one of our giant wood spiders yesterday. I moved a board and there was, a full adult 2+ inches across. I’ve seen them much bigger than that when we were building the house and so far they’ve proved harmless but I have to admit that I’m a little nervous putting on my boots in the summer, even if I do shake them out first!

The lawn is all raked, except for the back yard which is still a little damp from runoff and the spring back there. It should be dry enough to do by next week, probably. There is still a little bit of snow way back in the bush and along the road in places but that won't last long.

Hmmm… probably… sometimes… almost sounds like I’m in between seasons myself and I guess I am in some ways. I’ve now completed 6+ months of retirement and just now starting to get settled down into a kind of routine. An hour or so of housework plus some cooking time, an hour or so doing other chores such as raking or shoveling or shed cleaning, a couple hours of Watkins related items such as calling candidates or associates along with making deliveries and doing the bookkeeping, an hour or so of web site work and that pretty well takes care of my day. Oh yes, just a little bit of Facebooking mixed in throughout the day… well, more than a little bit because I’m addicted you see. I shudder to think of what will happen when the full version of Microsoft Vine is released. Guess we’ll have to petition for longer days or less of a sleep requirement.

Anyway, these are a couple pix I took today. That white bench in the photo is going to need painting this spring along with the staining of the deck. I’d also really like to do something down on the beach. I’ve got it all cleaned up but it would be nice to make a few additions down there also. Maybe a bench or gazebo? We’ll see what develops. Talk at ‘ya later!

No comments: