Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Six drinks continued…

The long stories will have to wait. Here are the final five of the six…

#2) Galliano: Ahh, the Harvey Wallbanger period. Not that we liked those things you know… just because we once ordered an entire case of this liqueur and the accompanying ingredients flown in doesn’t mean a darned thing!

#3) Draft Beer Ball: This brings back memories of Salluit (or Sugluk as it was known then). For a long time I fooled around with making my own wine. You need a new and clean plastic garbage pail, water, sugar, Welch’s Grape Juice and a bag of raisins or currants. Mix all those together with a little yeast and the darned stuff would knock you down in no time flat if you let it cook quietly for 2 or 3 weeks first. Anyway… the draft beer ball… the local teachers knew that I made wine and wisely refused to touch it (they weren’t that desperate) but one year we had a Super Bowl (XXIII maybe? Do you remember Jim?) party at the house and invited them all over. As soon as everyone was comfortable I served up pitchers full of beer that I told them was bathtub hooch. “Hey, this stuff is really good, you couldn’t have made this in the bathtub!” I said “Sure, it's there, go take a look” and sure enough there was the beer… the 5 gallon plastic ball was sitting in the tub full of snow to keep it properly chilled. No, I didn’t really make it as it had travelled the 900 mile trip north in one of those “special milk” boxes but it had everyone going for a while and it sure was good! I don’t remember the score or even who was playing or even if we watched the game at all but it was definitely a memorable event.

#4) Lagavulin: I don’t think I need to say anything else. A well aged, very peaty single malt scotch and quite possibly the most magical and transforming liquid ever produced by man. Don’t believe me? Let me know when you’re available to drop by and I’ll have a bottle for us to sip slowly out on the deck some evening while we enjoy a couple fine Cuban cigars. Now that’s life at its finest!




#5) Just to scare you a little bit how about... Coffee! This is now the drink of choice in my old age. Nothing quite beats that first coffee of the day and is there anything better than a large Double-Double with a box of Tim-Bits to go?




#6) Asti Spumanti (the most memorable one to close off the thread): This will always and forever hold a special place for me. I’m not sure exactly when we got out of the habit but on the 24th of every month for many years after Gloria and I were married (June 24, 1978) we would always chill a bottle and raise our glasses in a toast to each other and our good fortune on somehow finding one another. I guess the tradition got put aside when we were posted to areas where we could not import Asti or anything else for various reasons. Occasionally we would get a friendly southern supplier to ship in a bottle or two or even a case of “special milk” so we wouldnt' run dry, but I always hated to put anyone out and there was always a chance that it could be spotted coming off the plane by someone that you didn’t really want to see it. I miss those days… time to revive the tradition wife? I’m ready if you are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I share #5 with ya!

Manitoulin Threads said...

I love the 6 drink challenge - how fun! Great stories, I really enjoyed reading them. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Very nice!!! Great choices! Asti Spumanti has always been a favourite of mine.