Monday, December 18, 2006

Follow Up to "My Choice"

There is a story in the New York Times this morning about the second hand smoke from outdoor wood boilers you can use to heat your home. Personally I like these things as they are environmentally friendly, cheap and easy to use. I wish we'd put one in when we built but one reason we didn't was this exact concern. What would the neighbours think about my smoke floating in their doors and over their hanging laundry every day? We went with propane for everything and so far it's worked out great.

Anyway, the basic gist of the story is that there are all kinds of lawsuits filed from people who don't like the smoke. They are claiming that the hourly pollution from this type of heater is equal to 45 cars or 2 heavy duty diesel trucks.

The point of this blog entry? There are more things than cigarettes that are health hazards and clouding up the environment, but I sure do like a good campfire!

No comments: