Friday, December 15, 2006

My Choice

"Since the bill for the province-wide smoking ban was passed on June 8, 2005, anti-smoking lobby groups have vowed they would fight to make the law even tougher and have pursued measures such as banning smoking in parks, hotel and motels, in any open-air place within nine meters of an entrance or exit, and even in private cars and homes."

The above is from the My Choice web site. I regularly check out a number of sites which keeps people like me up to date on what new rules, regulations and invasions of privacy the government and closed minded people are trying to force on the rest of us. I’ve ranted on my blog and web sites before about things like this but it seems like it doesn’t matter how much we forfeit somebody always wants more.”

No, I’m not a smoker now except for a couple cigars a month, which I enjoy outside while the wind is blowing away from the house so it doesn’t bother anyone. I won’t go into how many cigarettes I used to smoke a day as I’ve discussed that on-line before but I quit cigarettes probably about 15 years ago when they started to interfere on my ability to do my job.

Actually it was probably the petty jealousy on the part of my co-workers that made me quit. After all, I was in such better physical shape then they were with all the fresh air I got being outside more and the extra exercise my body got pumping the blood through the nicotine clogged veins and arteries. They also didn’t like the way I tried to out-do them by contributing more than my fair share of money to the government in the form of tobacco taxes. Here they were struggling every day to figure out more ways they could cheat on their income tax so the government wouldn’t have enough money to fix our roads or build schools and hospitals, while all the while I was gladly donating about $10 per day to these worthwhile endeavours. Yes sir, my hats off to all those non-smokers who are now complaining that the government doesn’t care about them any more because of all the cutbacks in services they once were able to provide so freely. Oops… I’m ranting, aren’t I.

Oh well. The latest topic apparently being discussed by the anti-smokers is to ban all smoking in multi-unit dwellings. This mean condos, apartment buildings, your duplex maybe even our camp grounds. Which reminds me, I wonder why no one has complained about wood burning stoves in homes or campfire smoke or carcinogens on the marshmallows and hot dogs everyone holds over those same campfires. Second hand smoke? What about all those people who are deathly allergic to peanuts? Well, we’re just going to have to ban people from cooking with peanut oil in their apartments because their neighbour three doors down just might breathe in the fumes and have a reaction. I know, I'm going too far, but who will tell the government when they've done the same? The voters? I don't think so, the people in power these days just seem to be the ones with the best PR team. Enough for today… anarchists of the world unite!!

Hey! Don't be afraid to disagree with me and post your comments. Win or lose, I do enjoy a good debate!

No comments: