Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Things I had to come to Manitoulin to see...

I've looked for one of these things for years and last night my mission was accomplished. One of the neighbours dropped off some beets from her garden and when Gloria was getting them ready to cook into pickles this thing hopped out and onto her shirt. Wow, what a fantastic insect. He willingly walked onto my hand and slowly made its way up my arm over the next few minutes. Right now he/she is on a plant on the deck where I let it crawl to after that.

Other things I've only seen here?And oh yeah, don't tell Gloria because I didn't, but there was one of these on the road near the house when I came home yesterday. Just a small one, maybe 3 feet but definately a Massassauga Rattler, probably one of the last in this area as it's been 2 or 3 years since I last saw one. They normally do everything they can to avoid humans but I guess the warm road was just too much for this one after these cool autumn nights. They probably wouldn't kill you but with the closest antidote being many hours away in Toronto you have to wonder what the experience would be like. You try it first and let me know, OK?

October 5th: I'm told that it is most likely a Fox Snake that we occasionally see on the road near our house and not a Massassauga Rattler. Tell you what... next time I see it I'll give you a call and you can go pick it up to examine more closely. I'll stay in the car, thank you! :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing what one can find up here, eh? I've seen sooooo many animals and creatures here that I never thought I'd see.

BTW, that snake is SCARY!!!