Thursday, September 18, 2008

Transmission? Transmission? We don’t need no steeenkeeng transmission!

My apologies to Bogart and how many out there remember which of his movies I’ve modified that line from?

















So my nice little car that I bought on July 2 and haven’t even put 3,000km on yet kicked me in the butt today. I was headed over to Michael’s Bay to meet a guy I had been corresponding with for the past couple years about Manitoulin and Watkins and only made it as far as Sandfield. The engine went vroom and she just sort of coasted to a stop. I got it mostly off the road but there was no warning, no lights on the dash, just vroom and then the cloud of smoke and smell of burning. Anyone want to buy a blown transmission?

Sigh… A fast call to CAA got me a tow within 45 minutes to the dealer I’d bought it from, and since I had been over there last week looking at a Jeep Liberty that’s what they gave me for a loaner. To continue the day’s events I got about 5 miles towards home when the engine warning light on this one came on. Aaarrrgghhhh!!!!! I called the dealer again (one mile earlier and I wouldn’t have been in cell phone range) and they told me to bring it back. When I got there they put the computer on it and there you go, just a sensor they said, it’s OK to drive without any damage. So why do they bother putting a warning light at all if there is no chance of damage? Hmmm… I’ve brought it home anyway but you really have to nurse it. If you give it too much gas too fast it hesitates and jerks and isn’t much fun to drive. So much for considering a Jeep, or at least that particular one. I think I’ll take it back tomorrow and see if they can give me something else instead. It’s OK, I was starting to get bored with retirement and needed a little change to the daily routine anyway.

September 21 Follow Up...The Jeep has run perfect for the past two days. As soon as the warning light went out everything started purring like it should. Still makes me nervous about this particular machine though. Think I may just order a new one instead.

No comments: