Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A trail less travelled...

I spent a few hours yesterday at one of my favorite spots on Manitoulin, McLean’s Park. It’s a couple kilometers down New England Road lined with trees whose branches overhang the gravel road. I’ll post some photos of that in a couple weeks after the colors have started to change.

I go out there as often as I can just to enjoy the silence and walk the trails while occasionally enjoying a pipe full of whatever tobacco I have at the time. There is an old porcupine that I see quite often and though I didn’t get a glimpse of him yesterday I could hear him shuffling through the leaves a ways off the trail. The routes vary from short to over 7 kilometers and you can cut back and forth among most of them to create your own customized tour. The vegetation varies and there are many old trees that have been well worked by the woodpeckers. Naturally you have a chance of seeing raccoon, deer and there must be black bear around also.

Park facilities are clean and well kept and some days I don’t even hit the trails at all but just sit at one of the tables reading and reflecting. Only rarely do you see anyone else there and other than an occasional car or school bus going by it’s a very quiet and peaceful location, except for the scolding of the chipmunks of course! They seem to think the forest is their private domain and anyone visiting is violating their space. Maybe they’re right.

No comments: